Sunday, November 29, 2009

OTTO Restaurant, Montreal

The view from my table at OTTO
The view from my table at OTTO
I decided to arrive a day early for my conference in Montreal so I would have a chance to see the city.  I wanted to have all Friday to explore, so my plane landed in the late afternoon on Thursday.  After getting settled in to the hotel, I decided to take myself out for a good meal.
I consulted my Frommer’s Montreal Day by Day guidebook, and was interested in trying out a restaurant nearby named OTTO.  OTTO is housed in the W Hotel, near Square Victoria and just a few blocks from Old Montreal.  The Frommer’s guide said, in addition to the swanky atmosphere, that OTTO has “the best seafood in the city.”  I figured that was worth checking out.
Though the guidebook mentioned that reservations might be necessary, I found the dining room not crowded at all, with just a few other tables being served.  The primary language of the city is French, of course, but it being my first night there I didn’t yet trust my rusty skills enough to navigate a whole meal, so I asked for the English version.  Without a blink, the hostess switched into perfect English and handed me the translated version.
The room is gorgeous, to say the least.  It is decorated in a very modern style, with clean lines and just a hint of 1970′s kitsch (enough to keep the room from being an austere Bauhaus ripoff, but not so much that its goofy).  There is a good use of colored light, with low sexy reds mixing with the cool blues of the bar.  I found the decor very pleasing.
The service was very professional.  The server was willing to make recommendations, and because the restaurant was not very busy, was also willing to answer some of my questions about Montreal and her life in the city.  When I mentioned that I had read in the guide that they had the best seafood in the city, she suggested I try the Merluzzo Nero in Crosta di Porcini con Caponata Siciliana (Black cod encrusted with shiitake, Sicilian caponata, aspiration brocoli, aged balsamic and pistacchio sauce).
Even better, she was willing to suggest a white wine to pair with the meal.  So I found myself drinking a perfectly dry San Vincenzo Anselmi 2006, and eating some exquisitely prepared black cod.
The presentation was beautiful.  The preparation of the fish was a little rich for my tastes, with an almost sweet butteriness that at points overwhelmed the other flavors, but it was nonetheless delicious.   I was also not overwhelmed by the pistachio sauce, but that’s not really the fault of the chef (I simply don’t like pistachios. The fact that I found it palatable at all is actually a pretty high compliment).  The combination of flavors was very pleasing, overall (even with the pistachios).
Walking home, I was quite pleased with my experience.  The food was sumptuous, the wine was perfect, and the staff made me feel very welcome in this new city.  It was, as one would expect, a tad pricey.  Even if you’re traveling on a budget, however, OTTO is worth the splurge.  It is a definite must if you are spending a few days near Old Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment